You’ve probably noticed that my recent blogs have shifted focus. And also that they’ve come stamped with a new subtitle, “Movers, shakers, and million makers.” I would like to take a few minutes and share some thoughts on the new direction of this blog.
In the last four years, I’ve taken myself from a struggling bartender with no degree to an impressive standing in an industry I knew nothing about. Working for myself, building wealth, and living a dream life are my end goals, but I couldn’t be well on my way there without the foundation I’ve built for myself. Since my mission here is to help people improve their lives, it occurred to me that I need to be starting at the beginning. Your dream life starts here…
On my path to be a mover, shaker, and million maker, I am personally focusing on these six things:
- Career building. It all starts here. Whether you’re in your first job, or your twentieth. You need to build skills that enable you to provide value to others. The more value you can provide others, the better money you’ll make. A job presents an incredible opportunity to improve. But most people just shut down and whither away in their J.O.B. But not you, and not me. We are going to take full advantage of this no-risk opportunity and get more than just gas in the tank, we’re going to get the blueprint to bulid the car.
- Productivity. On the foundation of valuable skills is the ability to be productive with them. The more productive you are, the more you can deliver, and once again, the more money you’ll make. Productivity requires the ability to look forward, to see the end, to understand in detail what needs to be accomplished. And then to be able to break it down into manageable tasks that will get you there. And finally, to be able to focus, prioritize, and get things done.
- Leadership. As you move through life, you’ll quickly realize that most successful people have one thing in common: they are great at dealing with people. One person can only do so much, but once you can positively influence others, your efforts are multiplied. And let’s keep the theme going: the greater you can lead, the more money you’ll make.
- Entrepreneurship. The amount of value you can add working for someone else is limited by them. That doesn’t mean you can’t add an immense amount of value. But the quickest way to multiply your customer count is to start something new. Creating a new enterprise and setting it in self-sustaining motion (nothing is truly self-sustaining, but the goal is to get as close as possible to it) is the clearest path to increasing income, wealth, freedom… and all the rest of our wonderful goals.
- Wealth building. Once we’re creating immense value and generating a sizable income, meaningful wealth building can commence. Of course there’s no reason not to start saving and investing now, but until we’re generating a huge income it will be slow and steady. Even though wealth building will start slow, the lessons you learn and the habits you ingrain now are essential.
- Dream Life. Why do we work so hard? Why do we want all that wealth? To live the dream life, of course. And just like wealth building, no reason not to start living now. We need to enjoy the journey while preparing for the destination. We need our dreams to motivate us, and also to give ourselves little tastes of them along the way to keep it all real.
I would love to hear your thoughts on what I’m focusing on. Which do you think are the most important? Is there anything I’m missing?
What things are you focusing on to improve your life?